Today we are announcing the immediate availability the first GForgeNext beta. With GForgeNext we are taking what we have learned about project collaboration over 15 years and distilling it down to what you need right now.
Who is GForgeNext for?
This first beta is just that, a beta. GForgeNext is a redesign of some of the key features we offer in GForge Advanced Server. In other words, it is a minimum viable product (MVP) and it offers the following features:
- The ability to create an unlimited number of private projects and quickly send project invitations to your team.
- Git Support
- A basic ticketing system that supports a kanban view and Git integration. You can quickly attach screenshots and documents via drag-n-drop.
- Team Chat which is integrated with Git and the Ticketing system. Chat also support drag-n-drop of any file including rendering support for images and YouTube videos.
- A REST-ful API
- User’s can manage their own todo list across all their projects.
- The ability to control who has access to various parts of your project.
We are offering GForgeNext absolutely free*, the only thing we require is that you give us feedback on a regular basis. To make the feedback loop easy we provide a feedback button on every page that allows you to report bugs and to share ideas and enhancements.
Ideal organizations will run projects with 5 or more team members and, while not required, we’d love to see some organizations in or around Iowa to open up the possibility of collecting onsite feedback.
Are you interested? Please request access now. Those users given access to this first beta will be able to invite other users to their projects. All users participating in the beta, not just the leads, will be able to create their own projects.
* We really do mean free. The only caveat is we haven’t determined how long GForgeNext will be free but we do know it will be for at least two years and that customers that join us during this first beta will receive steep discounts whenever we do begin charging for access.
Who Shouldn’t use GForgeNext
GForgeNext’s current features are stable and can be used as-is with the expectation these features will always perform as expected. In fact, we are using GForgeNext internally. That said, there are some features we have planned that haven’t been implemented yet. These features will be released throughout the coming year but if you require them immediately then you should not use GForgeNext:
- Workflow support in the ticketing system.
- Peer code reviews via Git
- SVN support
- A document management system
- Team Chat in a separate window with support for multiple projects.
- Custom roles and access control – GForgeNext currently offers the following pre-defined roles: Lead and Contributor but eventually you’ll be able to add new roles and customize their level of access.
For now, GForgeNext is only offered as an online service so customers who require the ability to run GForgeNext on their own, internal network will need to wait until later this year. Current customers using GForge Advanced Server will receive regular email updates on the progress of GForgeNext and we will share the date of the first stable release as it approaches along with guides for planning your upgrade.
Navigation via MegaMenu
Kanban View of Tickets
Editing a Ticket